One of the features of Google Translate is that it allows you to transcribe voice to text. This comes in handy as it saves you the trouble of typing out the text. You can simply record the audio you wish to transcribe, and the app will convert it to text in your preferred language.
This article provides the steps to using the Google Translate voice to text feature.
How to Use Google Translate to Transcribe Voice to Text
Google Translate is one of the best tools to transcribe audio to text. With the Google Translate voice to text feature, you can speak in up to 10 languages, and the app will transcribe your words.
However, not everyone knows exactly how to transcribe using Google Translate. This section covers how to use Google Translate to transcribe voice to text.
How to Use Google Translate to Transcribe Voice to Text on Android
To use the Google Translate app on Android, first install it. If you have installed it already, then ensure it’s updated. Follow the steps below to use the Google Translate voice to text feature on Android:
● Step 1: Open the Google Translate app on your Android device.
● Step 2: On the home screen of the Google Translate app, click on the transcribe icon.
● Step 3: Google will inform you that using the Google Translate voice-to-text feature will allow Google to send the audio and transcription data to its servers. Click on ‘OK’ to proceed.
● Step 4: The app will prompt you to select the source language from the dropdown menu on the left. Select the language you will speak, as the Google Translate app won’t automatically detect the language.
● Step 5: Select the language you would like the text to appear in from the dropdown menu on the right.
● Step 6: Record the audio you’d like to transcribe and the app will convert it to text.
How to Use Google Translate to Transcribe Voice to Text on iPhone
Follow the steps below to transcribe voice to text on iPhone using Google Transcribe:
● Step 1: To get started, download the Google Translate app and install it on your iPhone. Once installed, open the app to proceed.
● Step 2: On the home screen, tap on the Transcribe icon to activate the feature.
● Step 3: Next, choose the source language from the list of available languages on the left.
● Step 4: Select the target language from the list of languages on the right to proceed.
● Step 5: Google Translate will automatically detect audio in the source language and then translate it to the target language.
How to Edit and Share Your Transcript
You can edit your transcript on Google Translate to adjust the text size. Follow the steps below to do this:
● Step 1: Tap on the cogwheel icon at the bottom of the screen.
● Step 2: This will provide you with a list of options; you’ll find the text size adjustment at the top of the list.
● Step 3: Now, slide through the text size box to edit how large the translated text looks. You have up to five text size adjustments to select from.
You can also share the transcript from the Google Translate app. Follow the steps below to share your transcript:
● Step 1: Select the text on the transcript screen.
● Step 2: To select all the text in the transcript, tap select all from the short menu that appears.
● Step 3: Next, tap Share on the list if you want to share the transcript with other apps.
How to Save & Find Your Transcripts on Your Android Device
Suppose you used Google Translate to convert Spanish to English voice to text. Then you might wonder how to save the new transcript. That’s relatively easy when you follow the steps below.
● Step 1: Click on the Star icon in the upper right corner after transcribing your audio.
● Step 2: This action will open a new tab, prompting you to enter the name under which you want to save your transcript.
● Step 3: Enter the preferred name and tap save.
If you want to find your transcript file, do the following:
● Step 1: Open the Google Translate app and tap on the profile icon in the upper right corner of the app.
● Step 2: From the list of available options, select saved transcripts to proceed.
● Step 3: This will open up a new page with all the saved transcript files. You can view, edit and share as you want.
Notta – An Easier Way to Convert Speech to Text
Google Translate is an efficient app when you want to convert speech to text. It makes it easier to become a transcriptionist. However, it isn’t without its limitations.
For instance, Google Translate isn’t ideal for transcribing Zoom meetings and recordings. The best app for converting speech to text is Notta.
This app is easy to use and offers more comprehensive features than Google Translate. It works with meetings, voicemails, etc. This tool utilizes speech recognition technology to convert sound to written text in real-time.
Notta offers unlimited recording time for audio and eliminates the need to seek time-consuming and expensive transcription services. The Notta bot can even attend your Google Meet or Zoom meetings and transcribe it in real time.
Unlike Google Translate, it also provides a live link you can share with your colleagues and friends who want to access the transcript. To transcribe voice to text using Notta, follow the steps below.
● Step 1: Open a Notta account if you don’t have one.
● Step 2: Log into your Notta account on your PC, and on the right corner of the screen, select start recording.
● Step 3: Notta might request permission to use your microphone; select allow to proceed.
● Step 4: Play the audio file you want to transcribe on your PC. If it’s on your smartphone, hit the pause button at the end of the screen and locate the audio on your smartphone.
1. What are the supported transcription languages of Google Translate?
Google Translate voice to text allows you to transcribe up to eight languages. These languages include English, Hindi, Spanish, German, Thai, French, Russian, and Portuguese.
2. How to translate the Spoken Word with Google Translate?
Here are the steps to translate the spoken word with Google Translate:
● Step 1: Open the Google Translate app and click on the transcribe icon
● Step 2: Select the languages you want to translate to and from.
● Step 3: Tap the microphone icon and speak the words you want. The app will start transcribing, and you can hit the stop button once it’s over.
3. Can I change the font size of the transcribed language?
Yes, you can. Follow these steps to change the transcript’s font size:
● Step 1: Tap on the cogwheel icon at the bottom of the screen to open up Settings.
● Step 2: Adjust the font size based on your preference; there are five options to choose from.
● Step 3: Close the Settings and view your transcribed text in the desired font size.
You can transcribe audio files from different foreign languages to text using Google Translate voice to text. The steps above explain how to record, edit, save, and share your transcript on various devices.
If you want a comprehensive tool for transcribing voice to text, try Notta. This AI tool has many features like recording your Zoom meeting, transcribing to text, and separating vocals from music. To learn more about its innovative features, sign up today.